The Beethoven Club of Memphis is proud to announce the Second Bi-Annual Las and Sara Savell Vocal Competition. It is designed to provide financial awards and professional encouragement to singers from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas between the ages of 19 and 28.
- First Prize $1000
- Second Prize $300
- Third Prize $200
- Competition is open to classical singers who have completed a minimum of two semesters of college study in voice in an accredited music department.
- Applicants must be ages 19-28 on October 21, 2017.
- Deadline for entry and payment of entry fee is September 30, 2017, 11:00 p.m. CST.
- Applicants must be prepared to perform three selections, one of which must be in English the other two in another language. Works must be from the standard Art Song/Aria literature representing different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th, or 21stCentury). All selections must be memorized.
- The application must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a recent voice teacher. These letters must be sent directly from the teacher’s email address to email@example.com. The message subject line should be: Savell Competition – [name of applicant]
- Application forms are online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FMHSKTF (Be sure to have all your materials ready before you fill out the online form. The form can only be submitted once for each applicant. If you accidentally hit the submit button before you have filled in your information you will need to go to another computer with a different IP address and start the process over.)
Each application form must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $35 submitted separately online to the Beethoven Club PayPal address http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org/paypal.html
- On the application form applicants music include a link to an online recording of one of their selections. It may be either audio or video (YouTube, SoundCloud, .mp3, etc.)
- Up to 15 finalists will be selected to come to the Beethoven Club for the final round of judging which will take place at the Beethoven Club, 263 S. McLean, Memphis, TN on Saturday, October 21 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Those accepted into the final round should be prepared to be available throughout that time period. Finalists will be notified by Thursday, October 5, 2017.
- Finalists must provide their own pianists.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the day.
Judges will be: Sara Savell and two more to be announced. Applicants will be judged on beauty of voice, technical skill, musicality, accuracy, and presentation.