Pay Your Entrance Fee Here. Payment can only be made by this PayPal link. You can use your credit card or your PayPal account.
The Beethoven Club of Memphis is proud to announce the Third Biennial Las and Sara Savell Vocal Competition. It is designed to provide financial awards and professional encouragement to singers from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas between the ages of 19 and 28.
|Student Division Ages 19-23
||Young Artist Division Ages 24-28
|1st Prize - $250
||1st Prize - $750
|2nd Prize - $100
||2nd Prize - $200
|3rd Prize - $50
||3rd Prize - $150
- Competition is open to classical singers who have completed a minimum of two semesters of college study in voice in an accredited music department.
- Applicants must be ages 19-28 on November 2, 2019.
- Deadline for entry and payment of entry fee is Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:00 p.m. CST. Payment must be made through the PayPal site at http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org/vocalcomp.html
- Applicants must be prepared to perform three selections, from memory, one of which must be in English. Works must be from the standard Art Song/Aria literature representing different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th, or 21st Century). Student categories must have at least two different languages represented. The Young Artist category must have three different languages represented. All selections must be memorized.
- Application forms are online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M9HX5QW Each application form must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $35 for Young Artists division and $25 for Student division submitted separately online to the Beethoven Club PayPal address http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org/vocalcomp.html
- On the application form applicants music include a link to an online recording of one of their selections. It may be either audio or video (YouTube, SoundCloud, .mp3, etc.)
- We will select up to 15 finalists per category to come to the Beethoven Club for the final round of judging which will take place at the Beethoven Club, 263 S. McLean, Memphis, TN on Saturday, November 2 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Those accepted into the final round should be prepared to be available throughout that time period. Finalists will be notified by Saturday, October 19. IMPORTANT NOTE: The Beethoven Club does not have practice rooms available for warm-ups. There is a picture of the performance space at http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org/rental.html
- Finalists must provide their own pianists. If requested, out-of-town finalists will be given a list of local available pianists for the competition. There is a $20 fee paid directly to the pianist. The finalists must arrange rehearsal locations and times directly with their pianists. There are no facilities for rehearsals at the Beethoven Club.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the competition day at http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org.
Applicants will be judged on beauty of voice, technical skill, musicality, accuracy, and presentation.