Savell Vocal Competition Winners 2017
1st Place - Samantha Long, $1000
2nd Place - Aaron Redburn, $300
3rd Place (tie) - Julie Brown, Sarah Harper $200 each
Aaron Redburn (University of Memphis)
Jeffrey Steward (Arkansas State University)
Shannon Lowe (University of Memphis)
Sarah Harper (University of Memphis)
Amber Harrington (University of Memphis)
Alyce Tarver (University of Memphis)
Jazmin Snowden (University of Memphis)
Julia Brown (University of Memphis)
Drew Warford (Blue Mountain College)
Marissa Howard (University of Memphis)
Hannah Carroll (Union Univeristy)
The Beethoven Club of Memphis is proud to announce the Second Bi-Annual Las and Sara Savell Vocal Competition. It is designed to provide financial awards and professional encouragement to singers from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas between the ages of 19 and 28.
- First Prize $1000
- Second Prize $300
- Third Prize $200
- Competition is open to classical singers who have completed a minimum of two semesters of college study in voice in an accredited music department.
- Applicants must be ages 19-28 on October 21, 2017.
- Deadline for entry and payment of entry fee is September 30, 2017, 11:00 p.m. CST.
- Applicants must be prepared to perform three selections, one of which must be in English the other two in another language. Works must be from the standard Art Song/Aria literature representing different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th, or 21stCentury). All selections must be memorized.
- The application must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a recent voice teacher. These letters must be sent directly from the teacher’s email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. The message subject line should be: Savell Competition – [name of applicant]
- Application forms are online at:[Deadline for entry is now passed.]
Each application form must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $35 submitted separately online to the Beethoven Club PayPal address http://www.beethovenclubmemphis.org/paypal.html
- On the application form applicants music include a link to an online recording of one of their selections. It may be either audio or video (YouTube, SoundCloud, .mp3, etc.)
- Up to 15 finalists will be selected to come to the Beethoven Club for the final round of judging which will take place at the Beethoven Club, 263 S. McLean, Memphis, TN on Saturday, October 21 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Those accepted into the final round should be prepared to be available throughout that time period. Finalists will be notified by Thursday, October 5, 2017.
- Finalists must provide their own pianists.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the day.
Judges will be: Sara Savell and two more to be announced. Applicants will be judged on beauty of voice, technical skill, musicality, accuracy, and presentation.